Communicable Disease: A disease which can spread from one person to another is called communicable disease.
Infectious Disease: A disease which is caused by an attack from microbes is called infectious disease.
A microbe which causes disease is called a pathogen. Some examples of pathogens are as follows:
Pathogens and Diseases
|Pathogen||Disease||Mode of Transmission|
|Plasmodium||Malaria||Spreads through bite of female Anopheles mosquito.|
|Dengue virus||Dengue||Spreads through bite of Aedes mosquito.|
|Common cold virus||Common cold||Through air; when someone coughs or sneezes.|
|Many bacteria||Cholera, diarrhoea||Through contaminated food and water.|
|Hepatitis B virus||Hepatitis B||Through exchange body fluids.|
|HIV||AIDS||Through exchange of body fluids.|
|Bacillus anthracis||Anthrax (in animals)||Through contact.|
How to prevent Malaria and Dengue:
- Malaria and dengue spread through mosquitoes. So, breeding of mosquito should be prevented.
- Don’t allow water to stagnate in surroundings because mosquitoes lay eggs in stagnant water.
- Frequently clean the water in cooler.
- Keep the overhead tank covered.
- Keep the drains properly covered.
- Fill any ditch with sand or soil.
- Use mosquito repellant creams and mosquito nets to prevent mosquito bite.
|Diseases caused by microbes in plants|
|Microbes||Disease||Mode of transmission|
|Fungi||Rust of wheat||Air, seeds|
|Virus||Yellow vein mosaic of Okra||Insects|