Question 1: Match List I (organisations and struggles) with List II and select the correct answer using the codes given below the lists:
|United Progressive Alliance
|Bharatiya Janata Party
|National Democratic Alliance
|Communist Party of India (Marxist)
|Telugu Desam Party
Answer the following questions:
Question 1: State the various functions political parties perform in a democracy
Answer: Functions of political parties are as follows:
- Political parties contest elections
- They form and run governments
- A party which loses the election plays the role of the opposition
- Parties provide people access to government machinery and welfare schemes implemented by the government.
- Parties shape public opinion, formulate laws and make policies
Question 2: What are the various challenges faced by political parties?
Answer: The various challenges faced by political parties are as follows:
- Lack of internal democracy
- Dynastic succession
- Money and muscle power
- Being a meaningful choice
Question 3: Suggest some reforms to strengthen parties so that they perform their functions well?
Answer: Some suggestions for future reforms of political parties are as follows:
- A law should be made to regulate the internal affairs of political parties.
- It should be made mandatory for political parties to give a minimum number of tickets, about one-third, to women candidates.
- There should be state funding of elections. The government should give parties money to support their election expenses. This support could be given in kind: petrol, paper, telephone etc. Or it could be given in cash on the basis of the votes secured by the party in the last election.
Question 4: What is a political party?
Answer: A political party is a group of people who come together to contest elections and hold power in the government.
Question 5: What are the characteristics of a political party?
Answer: Parties reflect fundamental political divisions in a society. Parties are about a part of the society and thus involve PARTISANSHIP. Thus a party is known by which part it stands for, which policies it supports and whose interests it upholds. A political party has three components, viz. leaders, active members and followers.
Question 6: A group of people who come together to contest elections and hold power in the government is called a _____________________.
Answer: Political Party
Question 7: Who among the following is the founder of the Bahujan Samaj Party?
- Kanshi Ram
- Sahu Maharaj
- B.R. Ambedker
- Jotiba Phule
Answer: (a) Kanshi Ram
Question 8: What is the guiding philosophy of the Bharatiya Janata Party?
- Bahujan Samaj
- Revolutionary democracy
- Integral humanism
Answer: (d) Modernity
Question 9: Consider the following statements on parties.
- Political parties do not enjoy much trust among the people.
- Parties are often rocked by scandals involving top party leaders.
- Parties are not necessary to run governments.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
- a, b, and c
- a and b
- b and c
- a and c
Answer: (ii) a and b